A humbling but rewarding experience

 



Not many people see this side of Dubai. Yes, this is Dubai- the same city that has the Burj Khalifa and the biggest, best and most luxurious of everything in the world. But not all that glitters is gold.

was invited on to a yacht today with a good friend. That is SO Dubai - this usually involves copious amounts of alcohol and a sore head tomorrow- but I didn't take up the offer as I really wanted to go and distribute the Iftar meals in the labour camp. I said during my introduction page that I wasn't going to tell you everything about me and that you would figure that out. I have recently been digging deep to unearth my core values. I have discovered that I love giving back and helping those less fortunate more than I have ever given myself the opportunity to realise. 

Ramadan is just over halfway through. There is an incredible initiative that exists here in Dubai called 'The Giving Family' and they have set up this amazing daily event, where you can simply turn up as a volunteer and help to distribute the meals to the labourers. Today, 6000 meals were given out in one hour. It felt fabulous to be part of this and to show my children how good it feels to help a bigger cause. It is easy to assume that life is easy for everyone living in Dubai; this is simply not the case. Thankfully, Dubai is full of amazing and generous souls who will give whatever they can- people from a huge number of backgrounds and of different nationalities who have the biggest hearts; to be honest, there are more people like this than plastic Love Island wannabes- you just don't hear about them.

Full sobriety has given me extra time, head space and motivation to do more. I would like to now find somewhere that I can volunteer more regularly. Watch this space...

'The Giving Family' describes the core values of Giving Back (which I love);

Empathy- Sharing and understanding the feelings of others

Generosity- Showing kindness and giving abundantly to others

Recognition- Acknowledging the existence and experiences of those who are different to you. 

I feel humbled and so very fortunate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical mornings

Why have I decided to start a blog...??